Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 14, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Altered by Jennifer Rush

Title: Altered
Author: Jennifer Rush
Format Acquired: Hardcover
Publication Date: January 1 2013
Publishing House: Little, Brown & Co.
ISBN: 97803116197083
Source of Copy: Purchased from National Bookstore

Summary:

I wasn't allowed in the lab. But that didn't stop me from sneaking down there.

Everything about Anna's life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch, at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There's Nick, solemn and brooding; Cas, light-hearted and playful; Trev, smart and caring; and Sam...who's stolen Anna's heart.

When the Branch decides it's time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape. Anna's father pushes her to go with them, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs.

On the run with her father's warning in her head, Anna begins to doubt everything she thought she knew about herself. She soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways that either of them expected. And if they're both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.


(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

I will admit that the main reason I picked this one up was because of the pretty spine, yes the SPINE. I can be very superficial at times and this, apparently, was one of my many moments of weakness. It was when I reached home that I actually bothered to read the blurb on the book jacket and once read, I feared that this would be one of the many romance-centric YA books out there and prepared for the worst. I'm glad I was wrong and that I seem to may have over-reacted.

There are four boys who live in the lab below the farmhouse. Four genetically altered boys with no memory whatsoever of their previous lives. Anna's father is in charge of monitoring their progress and supervising their treatments. Anna, naturally, helps her father in his work and grows attached to these boys. But the organization Anna's father works for, the Branch, shows up one day and decides to take the boys away. Now Anna and the boys are on the run from the Branch and follow clues that will lead them to the truth.

What I liked about Altered were the characters. Anna is a likable heroine, she's a bit timid  at first but when push comes to shove, she's no damsel in distress waiting for someone to come and save the day. I was surprised how well she took to being so suddenly uprooted from her normal, systematic albeit secretive life and didn't complain at all. Such a trooper, this girl. Then there are the four genetically altered boys, Sam, Trev, Nick and Cas. They weren't exactly super-powered in the shooting-lasers-from-eyes sense, but they did have heightened senses, increased strength, stamina and agility and all four boys seem to have an odd connection to Anna which they do eventually find out about as the book progresses. Each had their own separate personalities and it was interesting to see this diversity in the group dynamic.  But despite liking the characters I had a tiny problem with the romance part of the story. I do like Sam and Anna, I have no qualms against their relationship but the problem is that I couldn't exactly feel it. There was not much of a spark. I get that they're on the run and their lives are in danger but I was hoping to see more of a connection between Anna and Sam. I'm hoping that the author expounds on this in the next installment to make this relationship more believable.

Another interesting thing in Altered are the clues that Sam and the rest of the gang follow to lead to the truth and maybe uncover their pasts. I liked how creative some of the clues are, so I won't divulge much but they do have something to do with tattoos and numbers and scars. What I didn't like, and what caused me to raise an eyebrow in disdain, was this one scene where the code consisted of letters like X, V and I (Roman numerals) and they couldn't figure out what it meant until Anna set her eyes upon a clock which had said X's, V's and I's. Barring that little mishap, the book had quite a number of intriguing plot twists that took me by surprise and added to my overall enjoyment of it. Every time a new secret was revealed I'd go all, "NO, REALLY?", but apparently, yes. Really. 


Altered is a sci-fi thriller that involves genetic experimentation, interesting scientific notions and a government that turns a blind eye to it all. A satisfying blend of mystery, action and just enough romance to satisfy. While the book was wrapped up quite nicely, I'm eager to see what the next book holds. 


Rating:
        
                         

12 comments:

  1. Weeee thank you for the review, Nicole! I think I'll just wait for the paperback but I do agree, this book's spine is GORGEOUS. I saw that picture where Jennifer Rush had all of it stacked and it was wonderful. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my review Dianne! :> I'm not sure, but I think I've seen that picture. :D Such a pretty spine, wish I had more copies so I can stack them up like the author did. :>

      Delete
  2. Oh I just read and reviewed this book, too! I think it might be my favourite 2013 debut, I loved it so much <3
    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :> Thanks for dropping by! Glad to know you liked the book. :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole! Thank you for your honest review! I read it thoroughly and I applaud and thank you for justifying that 3 1/2 rating. I'm actually rethinking if I should buy this. :'( It broke my heart a little when you said there were no sparks. Ouch. But thanks for waking me up. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. :> Thank you Precious! Altered is a good book and I'm not saying that Anna and Sam were a bad match, it's just that I couldn't exactly get a feel for their relationship. But I think that you should definitely check this one out for the interesting plot twists and turns that take you by surprise. :D

      Delete
  4. I've seen really mixed review for this one. I love the cover and form the blurb it sounds interesting. You liked it so I'd probably give it a try :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Altered is an interesting book despite the few things I wasn't too happy about. It's an easy read and I'm glad you're giving it a try. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG the roman numeral thing? that sounds SOOO annoying! I'm, like, EXTREMELY stupid, but even I know what X and V and I mean. And, I mean, they're in the same positions as the REGULAR clocks too, so you could just envision the XII as the 12, and then go from there. Right? But I'm glad you enjoyed this overall!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA. YES. That was kind of annoying. Plus other inconsistencies that pop out but nothing too big or too annoying. Meh. :> Hope you give this book a try. :D

      Delete
  6. hehehe...i love the cover too and that is why it is on my wishlist. I do like mystery and sci-fi but this does sound like it has some issues *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the spine. :> Yes, I did. The book has a few issues but they didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment. :)

      Delete