Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 31, 2013

MICHELLE'S REVIEW: Fuse by Julianna Baggott

Title: Fuse
Author: Julianna Baggott
Format Acquired: eARC
Publication Date: February 19, 2013
Publishing House: Grand Central Publishing
ISBN: 9781455503087
Source of Copy: NetGalley

Summary:

When the world ended, those who dwelled within the Dome were safe. Inside their glass world the Pures live on unscarred, while those outside - the Wretches - struggle to survive amidst the smoke and ash.

Believing his mother was living among the Wretches, Partridge escaped from the Dome to find her. Determined to regain control over his son, Willux, the leader of the Pures, unleashes a violent new attack on the Wretches. It's up to Pressia Belze, a young woman with her own mysterious past, to decode a set of cryptic clues from the past to set the Wretches free.

An epic quest that sweeps readers into a world of beautiful brutality, Fuse continues the story of two people fighting to save their futures - and change the fate of the world.

                          (Image, summary, and information courtesy of Goodreads)

Review:

Holy cow. Whereas I was on the fence about fully recommending Pure to other readers before, Fuse had just made me want to take back all the half-answers I gave, run to the bookstores, and duct tape Pure and Fuse together. (Hehe, "fused" together.)

Fuse reunites us with Pressia, Partridge, and their motley crew. In the midst of all the chaos, Lyda is trying to establish her own identity, but there is one particular person she's   particularly attached to. Partridge thinks that bringing down the Dome will be the perfect revenge for his father, the Dome leader. El Capitan and Helmud want to punish the Dome for all the horrors they've done. Bradwell just wants the truth. As Partridge's father sends people to "persuade" Partridge to come back to the Dome, Pressia and Bradwell are racing against time to unlock the secrets to a black box that may contain a secret that could save them all.

In Pure, I wasn't really sure that I liked any of the characters, save for Bradwell. But in Fuse, I began to appreciate each and every one of them in a new light. I loved them because they have their own clear, and very distinct voices. Before, I couldn't come up with any ounce of feeling for El Capitan and Helmud. Partridge was just a spoiled boy who was looking for trouble. Lyda was just a girl who was foolish enough to lie for a guy who initially didn't seem to be much into her. In Fuse, I adored Helmud. Even when he just echoes El Capitan's words, he times it perfectly and manages to make it sound totally different. You could probably tell by now that my mind is just reeling from the awesomeness that is Helmud. Partridge had already acclimated to the drastic change of scenery, and knows what he has to lose to gain leverage over the Dome. I always knew Lyda had a tough streak in her, but in this one, me-ow! Lyda's claws are out to play and she's not afraid to get some scratches and bruises. Pressia was still as adorable as ever, and her interactions with Bradwell had me either grinning from ear-to-ear or swooning. How could anyone not swoon over Bradwell? Go away, Peeta. Four? Who's that? I'm sorry, but no one could possibly hold a candle to Bradwell. 


"Now I feel like we weren't made for each other. We're making each other... into the people we should become." - Bradwell

Fuse expertly weaves together action scenes and emotions, and I must say that it's definitely what kept me up until the wee hours of the morning. I've read this in one sitting, so you can only imagine how horribly fatigued I was after this. The beauty of Julianna Baggott's writing style is that she somehow gives you the impression that you should pay close attention to each and every word that she puts on paper. Just like its predecessor, Fuse is a heavy read. If you're in the mood for fluffy, irrational dystopian books, this series is not for you. This book only served to remind me of the parallels of our universes. Religion plays a minor role in this book, where we have people who worship the Dome. Otherwise, what else would they have left to believe in? In a world where the completeness of the human body is deemed precious and upper class, the wretches can only hope to see any kind of beauty that even our heroine, Pressia, is affected by it. The obsession with physical perfection will resonate perfectly with today's readers.

Baggott has redefined the dystopian genre by making her readers all the more aware of the issues we're currently dealing with today. I think so many authors keep focusing on what will happen in the worlds they've created instead of carrying over the problems we face now to make the whole ordeal richer and relatable. If like me, you were unsure about your feelings for Pure, I'd say that you should take the plunge and get a copy. Believe me when I say that I am itching to get my own copy to reread it. The characters are wonderfully diverse, the beauty and heaviness brought about by the language is heady, and the conditions are brutal and intense. Baggott has set an impressive standard for dystopian novels, and I will wait with bated breath for the next installment.


Rating:

         

No comments:

Post a Comment